1) J.F.K. died and Lyndon Johnson became president. We had no vice-president until 1965.
2) Median income was $6,200 now it's over $64,000.
3) The amazing singer, Patsy Cline, was killed in a plane crash.
4) The Supreme Court paved the way for public defenders.
5) Alcatraz was shut down by Attorney General Robert Kennedy.
6) The soap opera General Hospital debuts.
7) Coca Cola introduces its first diet drink called Tab.
8) Zip codes began to be used by the post office.
9) Instant replay was introduced by CBS.
10) Russia launches the first woman into space.
11) The Beatle's release their smash hit: "I Want to Hold Your Hand."
12) The iconic smiley face was introduced.
13) Debuting on television were: My Favorite Martian, The Fugitive and Petticoat Junction.