1) He came from an extremely wealthy family and his dad told him he couldn't become a writer because it wouldn't provide a living.
2) He was kicked out of several colleges because he wasn't a good student.
3) He tried again and again to get his short stories published to no avail.
4) He was drafted to fight in WWII and participated at D-Day where he saw thousands of men die.
5) During the war, his girlfriend who said she'd wait for him ended up marrying another man. The other man's name was Charlie Chaplin. Salinger was devastated.
6) The whole time he was fighting, he kept a journal and began writing a novel.
7) After the war he ended up in an insane asylum because of what is now called P.T.S.D.
8) The New Yorker became interested in one of Salinger's short stories, so it was the first place he was ever published.
9) His PTSD wasn't improving enough and he couldn't sleep or write then he met someone with the Hare Krishna's and he learned to meditate which helped his PTSD.
10) He finished his novel called: "Cather in the Rye" and it became a worldwide success.
11) The pressure from all the fame sent him in hiding.
12) He told his publisher he never wanted to publish anything again and he kept to his word. He basically became a recluse.