What bothers me the most is they seem to have forgotten that Obama promised so many things that he didn’t deliver on even when he had control over the House and Senate his first 18 months in office. I can’t say for sure if Obama lied knowingly when he ran for office making various promises or if when he got in office he came to the realization he didn’t have the power and influence to get some things done as I’m sure all Presidents have experienced; but the bottom line is President Obama was terrible at delivering on his promises. As a reminder:
- In 2008 he demonized President Bush for usurping Congress through the use of Executive Orders and he was going to stop this from happening. When he was asked about why he used them so often when he was originally against them, he said times had changed and he had to use them to get things done (a.k.a. usurping Congress).
- He said he would get rid of earmarks and even comb through every piece of legislation to make sure there were none in them. He said he would provide a list of names on-line, of any legislators who tried to place earmarks on legislations yet there were over 1,000 earmarks in the Affordable Care Act alone and yet he didn’t share these names. As a matter of fact, he never provided us a list of names of anyone who used earmarks his entire eight years in office.
- He would place any piece of legislation that was up for him to sign on-line for five days so voters could see it before he signed it.
- He would require all meetings between Congress and lobbyists to be on C-Span.
- He’d have all troops out of Afghanistan and Iraq in 18 months. I understand why he didn’t, but he’s the one who made the promise.
- He’d close Guantanamo Bay within a year.
- He promised that lobbyists would no longer set the agenda in D.C. and that he wouldn’t have any lobbyists working in his administration yet he had over 20 including Eric Holder (former lobbyist), during his eight years in office.
- He said his Stimulus Bill would create five million new jobs. It was closer to two million and each job costs tax payers around $400,000 to create…a little something Democrats don’t like to talk about. To add insult to injury, for some reason a lot of people didn’t understand that “shovel ready” jobs are project oriented so when the projects were finished the jobs went away. Keep in mind that even President Obama said: “Shovel ready projects weren’t quite shovel ready.” This ended up being a huge fiasco that the mainstream media didn’t cover only because the President was a Democrat. The bottom line is that each person who got a shovel-ready job would’ve been much better off receiving $400,000 directly from the government as it would’ve kept their families clothed and fed longer.
- During his 2008 campaign he said he would cut our deficit in half by his first term but instead he ended up breaking all records in increasing debt. He still got re-elected which tells me most Americans don’t understand the negative impact that debt has on our economy, which is scary.
- He said we can’t keep borrowing money from China, spending money we don’t have, and printing money; once again he broke all records in increasing these things.
There’s more than the above like all the promises he made with the Affordable Care Act, but I’ll leave it at this. The fact is President Obama by far wasn’t the President of “Promise and deliver.” For Democrats to attack Trump for not getting things done is appalling.
If I were the Republican leadership I would go up to the mike every day and remind people about President Obama’s failures. They need to keep it simple and make the promise that they won’t be perfect, but they promise not to be as bad as Obama.